Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Who am I?"

In putting this blog together, one of the things I have enjoyed the most is collecting songs to include on my playlist at the bottom of this page. Each of the songs I have included has great meaning for me and has taken me through some of the most joyous and toughest times of my life. I will try and include a post on here to give a little background to each of those songs to give you an idea what they mean to me. I chose the song, "Who Am I?" by Casting Crowns to talk about today. Mainly because I am finding myself at a crossroads in my life right now where I am trying to figure out who I am. You would think at the age of 31 I would have that figured out by now! I guess it's just one of those things you have to explore over and over throughout your life as seasons change.

As a wife, I am constantly trying to figure out who I am to this person I married. How does he see me? Am I being the loving, caring, selfless person I hoped I would be to my spouse?

As a mother, I am trying to figure out who I am to my children. Am I the mother I always thought I would be? Am I being the patient, protecting, role model my children need?

As a friend, I am trying to figure out how to BE a friend!! How do I carve out time in my busy life to be the friend I want to be? How do I keep myself from being isolated in my world of runny noses and macaroni and cheese? Am I seeking out the fellowship I need and making an effort to provide that fellowship for others?

As a teacher, I am trying to figure out where I need to teach. Do the doors continue to open up with tutoring or do I need to close those and find a window back into the classroom? Why did I feel the spirit leading me to go back to working full time, only to find my days of tutoring are not yet over? Praise God for more work.....beg Him for clarity of direction!!!

Most importantly as a child of God, I am trying to figure out who I am in Him. Am I seeking Him with all my heart, soul, and mind? What can I possibly give Him that He doesn't already have? How can I possibly be someone He uses?

This is where I come to the song. As I listened to the chorus of this song, I was blown away by the simplicity of the words, yet the profound truth they speak. "Not because of who I am, but because of what You've done. Not because of what I've done, but because of Who You are!" Nothing we can do or be will ever have meaning or purpose without the Lord's hand. We may be small, we may feel sometimes that we can not possibly have an impact, but WE ARE HIS! He reminds us that we belong to Him because of what He has done for us and Who He is. He is the Great I Am, the almighty Father, our Savior, redeemer, and friend.

As you go through your day and find yourselves at a crossroads, wherever it may be, remember that there is nothing to fear, nothing to doubt. No matter where we go, what we do, or who we are, we will always belong to HIM!!! No other identity is needed than that!

No comments: