Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Journey through Mercy


I am thrilled and waiting anxiously for the package that will be arriving in the mail for me in a few short weeks. I searched Amazon.com for books on Mercy to find a devotional dedicated to this topic since it is my word of the year. This is what I found. It's called "Whiter than Snow; reflections on sin and mercy". It's a devotioal that examines how David waited on God to feel His mercy and love in the midst of the sinfulness of his life. My hope is to spend the 52 days, one chapter a day, diving deeper and deeper into the concept of God's mercy. I have a feeling that I will find that I knew very little about the topic that I should have a detailed understanding of by now in my walk.
This morning in church we examined that topic by talking about how God does not want us to live our life with our regrets driving our thoughts and emotions. We all have things that we wish we did differently, but God wishes for us to go BEYOND our sin and mistakes to find the grace and MERCY He is extending to us. If we do that, our sin does not shape and define who we are, His love does. The pastor made the statement that our circumstances do not decide how much God loves us. His love for us extends beyond anything we can imagine.
Have you found your word for the year yet? I'm looking forward to exploring it further! Amazingly, it seems, wherever I go, God is illustrating His mercy to me left and right. It's so obvious that this is the word He desired me to explore for the year. I guess I am more in need of mercy than I realize! Aren't we all?!

No comments: