Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New every morning

The unexpected snow day brought along another delivery....my new devotional, "Whiter than Snow". I took some time to read the introduction to the book as I'm so excited to dive into my journey with Mercy. The very first page was the first to catch my eye,

"I have lived it and I know that it is true....Your mercies are new every morning!"
What a great reminder. When I go through this life and time and time again mess up in ways that I know to be sinful, I beat myself up so much. I ask myself why I can't seem to get it right. Why can't I live a life that is pure and blameless and holy in His eyes? Why is it so hard for me? The answer was right there on the first few pages of this book. I'm hoping the rest of the book speaks to me just as these words have. Maybe they will help you make sense of some things too....
"The characters of the Bible, even the ones we tend to think of as heroes, were broken and
flawed people. They, like us, were all sinners and , like us, needed to be rescued by God's
grace. 'Rescued from what?' you might ask. Just like us, they need to be
rescued from themselves......When you read about David and all the war between nations that surrounded David's reign, it would be tempting to think that David's biggest
enemy was the warring nation around him. But what this story (Psalm 51) demonstrates
is that David carried his most powerful enemy around with him.
The enemy is called sin." Paul David Tripp
Wow! No matter how many times I am reminded of the great enemy we have in sin, I am amazed at it's power over us. What is so important to remember though, is that God's mercy and grace triumph over our sin! He is there waiting for you with open arms, mercies new EVERY MORNING, forgiving and wiping the slate clean. I don't know about you but that relieves me of so much burden I had carried around from my past. Every morning God greets us with love and says, "Today is a new day. Let's live it to the fullest!" Just remember that, and live it for HIM!! Don't take His gift lightly. He paid for it with a heavy price. He gave the life of his own Son so that His mercies could wipe you clean as snow! Look at the snow outside and see how white it is. Your soul is that white and pure because of his mercy. Take it and rest sweet one!

No comments: