Sunday, May 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Daniel!

Today's posting is in honor and celebration of two dear friends of ours, Bonnie and Patrick, and their sweet little Daniel John who would be celebrating his second birthday today.

On this day two years ago, I received a joyous call from Patrick, letting us know of little Daniel's arrival. I waited anxiously for more details so I could find out where to visit. However, before I could even make it up to the hospital to congratulate them, I received another phone call telling me that Daniel didn't make it through the night. I was speechless. I had known, as so many did, that there was a concern for Daniel's health since early in the pregnancy. However, I never truly knew the magnitude or severity of it all. We had prayed for months, hoped for the best, and now watched our friends face the unthinkable. Having to say goodbye to a child. Amazingly, in the few hours of his life, Daniel had more of an impact than I think I have ever had!

He taught us about life. From before the time Daniel was even conceived, God knew him, every last detail, down to the very birth defect that took his life. When Bonnie and Patrick learned of the odds against him, they chose instead to look at the possibilities. Rather than taking the choice into their own hands and terminating the pregnancy, they decided to give life a chance. The prior would have probably been less painful for them, much easier than having to meet him face to face and say goodbye so quickly. Yet, they chose life. They chose to give Daniel a chance at life and let God have the control.

He taught us about selflessness. I watched Bonnie and Patrick go through months of doctor's appointments, testing, ultrasounds, research, and worries. They sacrificed time with their other child to accomplish these things. They sacrificed financially when Bonnie had to be on bed rest. They sacrificed of themselves time and time again simply to give this little life the honor and respect he deserved. They recognized the true meaning of being a parent...putting your child first.

He taught us about time. Though Daniel only had a few hours with us, he was able to show us how important it is to not take this life for granted. Life on earth for Daniel was literally a breath, a wink, a short moment in time. Yet, what we don't realize, but will someday soon, is that ours is just as short. Sometimes we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of our daily grind that we fail to stop and appreciate the moments we have. However, it is so important to take life one day at a time and live it to the fullest. Rather than always striving to have more, do more, be more, we need to accept and rejoice in where we are. Daniel reminded me how important it is to sit and read an extra book to my children. He reminded me how important it is to give my husband hugs, "just because". He reminded me to say what's on my mind and not wait until tomorrow. You don't know if tomorrow will be there! Now you know why I talk so much! I don't want to let a moment slip by without letting my loved ones know how important they are to me and how much of an impact they are having in the lives of those around them.

Most importantly, he taught us about joy. As I watched Bonnie and Patrick at Daniel's memorial service, I couldn't help but notice the joy that seemed to shine through, even in the darkest moments of grief. Though they both hurt so much and longed to have their little man in their arms, every time they talked about him, I could see their eyes light up. They may not have known it, but I saw it. It's the joy that comes from having been given even just a moment with your precious child. It's the joy that comes from memorizing his face, his hands, his feet, every detail, not taking any of it for granted. It's the joy that comes from knowing he is now healed. It's the joy that comes from knowing he is forever safe in the arms of the Father. It's the joy that comes from knowing one day he will be waiting on the other side of that gate for them when the Father calls each of them home. That, my friends is true joy. Not joy in the temporary, joy in the eternal. The place we will one day be together again and throw those darn tissues away!!

So, Bonnie and Patrick, I thank you. For letting us be a part of your lives and letting Daniel be a part of ours. He truly was a gift to so many and his life will never be forgotten.

Daniel, Happy Birthday, little man! I know you don't even need candles for your birthday cake...you have the light of the Savior to make your face shine! Save a spot for me in paradise, buddy! I want front row seats!

At the bottom of this page is my playlist. Take a minute if you can to scroll to the bottom of the list of songs. Bonnie and Patrick chose to play the song, "Held" by Natalie Grant, at Daniel's memorial service. In memory of Daniel I would like to dedicate that song and the last one on my list, "I can only imagine". We look forward to the day we can truly be Held in the Father's arms as we can only imagine how truly glorious it is!

1 comment:

Bettye said...

Hey Jules,

How happy I was to see an email from you. You, Ray and the kids have been tapping at my spirit for a week now. I am currently looking at your wedding invitiation that sort of just appeared on my desk from where -- well we both know from where. I picked up your picture about two days ago and earlier this week I happened on the song I sang at your wedding. Needless to say, I have been praying for you and now I know what you want from prayer and I am privileged to do it for such a loving family.

Jules, you know that, as always, God will lead you. I spoke about you with someone last week and I told her what a marvelous teacher you are and that we need more like you working with our children. God is preparing your position and one morning when you wake up it, God will speak unmistakenly and you will know exactly what to do. I love you and I admire your love of God. God blesses you always, remember to always recieve those blessings

Bettye