Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How the Years Go By!

I helped a dear friend move in to her new place this weekend....made me feel a little old since I used to be her babysitter from the time she was 3 and she's now 24! How the years have flown! As we unpacked boxes and shared memories of her childhood, it brought me back to the very time that I moved myself down to Maryland to start my new life. I was filled with so many emotions, as I know Connie is as well. Excitement mixed with fear, apprehension mixed with knowledge of possibilities, and joy mixed with sadness. I had walked away from the only place I ever knew and entered a whole new world all by myself. What on earth was I thinking?? That went through my mind on more than one occassion. I clearly remember going through a box of tissues every weekend as I longed to go back to the place that was filled with so much comfort and familiarity. At the same time though, I was grateful for a chance at a new life, a chance to get past those old hurts of my childhood. A chance for me to become who God was longing for me to become. A chance for me to be all that He wanted me to be. At the time, 12 long years ago, I had no idea where the road would lead for me. Looking back today, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God brought me here with good reason. Many many good reasons. To name a few....starting my career as a teacher, developing the future home of my family- my mother and sister, meeting the father of my two beautiful children, and finally finding the job I've waited so long for. I know some of my fellow co-workers may find it hard to believe that I'm in the job of my dreams, but once you've experienced life in other places and different jobs, you'll know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I did not come to this place easily. There were many bumps in the road, twists and turns, some more painful than others. Yet as I said 12 years ago when I sat down to plead with the Lord to take me back home, I will say the same today, "Father do not remove this thorn from my flesh for it is there for a reason." Even though moving was so bittersweet and often felt like a thorn in my side, it was the best thing that ever happened to me as it has brought me so many blessings in life.

So, Connie, as you deal with moving from those you love so much, just remember that you are here for a reason. You will make it through. Focus on becoming the woman that you are meant to be and strive towards the goal that God has placed in front of you. You are a strong woman and I know you will be able to find the joy in every blessing that comes your way. Take a listen to the song on my playlist called "Moving On", by Rascal Flatts. It was my theme song when I left Syracuse and still makes me smile to this day. Love you sweetheart!!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Oh Julie I love you! You are making it very easy for me move here. The song is great and is now my theme song. Thank you for everything and being my little piece of home! I love you!